Happy birthday to me!
A great gift was all of the advice you guys shared with me. I was surprised by how varying, practical, and yet contradictory the tips were! I love that they are from people both younger and older than 27, too. They are a great way to get me thinking a little deeper about my life and how I want to live it. Enjoy!
- You may feel like an adult, you may think you know who you are and what you stand for, but you are only just beginning. Be open and understand that whatever you think you have in store for yourself is subject to change without notice.
- ”Are you happy?” If not, change it.
- Live it up and take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way
- Don’t waste time dating people who either don’t ever talk about marriage with you or you feel the same with them. (If marriage is something you want). Don’t waste their time or yours.
- Take a step back sometimes or have a relaxation day to distress from lifes issues because if they pile up to much it is goodbye sleep and hello sickness.
- Live outside your head and quit overanalyzing every little thing that happens. You will have bad days, mistakes, physical aches and pains–this does not need to be “fixed” a lot of the time. It’s just life, and life is too short to micromanage and try to control.
- Be honest–with others and yourself. The more you try and hide things or be someone you’re not, the less authentic your life will become.
- Work harder to maintain family relationships, don’t stress over the little things, and live it up! Be confident in your body cause you look great, and don’t put up with crap from stupid boys, ’cause you deserve better.
- Don’t waste time obsessing over your physical self. Really. Being healthy and active is great and necessary , but it makes you far more interesting if you cultivate interests and skills and knowledge beyond your jeans size.
- Timelines are lame, especially when you try to plan yours based on someone else’s. And 27 is super young. Enjoy it.
- You have plenty of time to “go for it” in the coming years, and the more self-aware you become now the more content you will be in your path as the years go on.
- You are so going to enjoy your thirties! I like myself and my life so much more now in my thirties, I wish I could tell younger self in hopes I would start that early!
- Life isn’t really worth planning out – God guides us as we lean on him anyway, and His plan is much better than ours! Setting expectations for myself based solely on age is silly. Just be you!
- Say yes more than you say no.
- Quit work, travel the world and don’t buy a house!
- Don’t say yes to everything – it will wear you out and the things you truly wanted to say yes too will be done half-assed because you were in too many places at the same time.
- Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. –Walt Disney
- Let go and just live life without worrying about what other people think.
- Do something nice for yourself every single day. Even if it’s just 5 minutes of yoga or a quick walk.
- Even if you’re not where you thought you’d be by 27 you are exactly where you’re supposed to be.
- There is still so much growing up to be done and not to be in such a hurry.
- Stop trying to make yourself so small and learn to say what you needs to say.
- The desires of your heart would all come in time and to spend as much time and energy as you can loving the people in your life.
- You’re gonna be more awesome at 37!
- Be content.
- To enjoy every single day and live the little things
- You’ve got a long way to go.
Feel free to add more advice in the comments!