My name is Clare and I have a problem. I never bothered to learn how to make good smoothies.
Sure I make “smoothies” a lot, but they always ended up being either more of a liquid drink or an chunky fruit ice cream. And so I I’ve been going through a major phase with Smoothie King’s Nutty Super Grain smoothie. It’s freaking delicious, is made with almond milk and Sunwarrior Protein Power, and it actually has the texture of a smoothie. Miraculous!
After spending way too much money on these, even though I have every ability to make myself much cheaper smoothies at home, I decided I should just figure the damn thing out. (Hint though: Download the Smoothie King app! You get rewards back!)
When I got down to Hilton Head I gathered the ingredients I needed:
- bananas (which I peeled and froze)
- Frozen strawberries (I sub strawberries for the apple juice because my stomach doesn’t like apples)
- almond milk (actually brought this from home in a cooler since I didn’t want it to go to waste)
- cocoa powder
- Vanilla protein powder (I brought my Vega One because It’s my fav and I figured it’d do the job just as well as SunWarrior!)
- Peanut butter
The one thing I didn’t add was the “grain” blend that Smoothie Kind adds. I don’t really know what it is. And I don’t find it necessary. Maybe it affects the flavor? Mine seemed to be just great without it.
On my first full day I came inside for a refreshing lunch after a hot morning by the pool. I will admit that my first try wasn’t perfect — it was actually on the third day that I finally got it pretty close. And I finally got a good texture!! I think the trick is (1) don’t use frozen blueberries like I had been at home! They make it too watery and (2) not too much frozen fruit either, that makes it too thick.
Copy Cat Smoothie King Nutty Super Grain Smoothie
In a blender add…
- 1/2 banana, frozen
- 4 frozen strawberries
- 1-2 TBSP vanilla protein powder (I like adding 2 for the added protein punch + veggie power when I use Vega)
- 1 TSBP cocoa powder
- 1.5-2 TBSP peanut butter (2 if you like it really peanut buttery, like Smoothie King’s often are!)
- 4 ice cubes
- 1.5 cups almond milk
Blend until completely smooth. Blend longer than you think — those strawberries always tend to clump up. I usually give it a full minute.
ENJOY!! And give yourself a smoothie mustache:)
- Do you ever go to Smoothie King?
- What’s your favorite Smoothie combo?