I use recipes and inspiration from other food blogs a lot, as demonstrated by the long list of dishes I’ve tried on my “recipes” page. But there are a few that I find myself going back to when I need something yummy to cook up.
- Fannetastic Food. Anne, though not a vegetarian herself, has lots of simple and healthy vegetarian recipes. I always seem to have the ingredients on hand and they never involve crazy long cooking methods. Her banana muffins were gone in two days!
- Oh She Glows. Angela whips up delicious, vegan meals like nobody’s business. She doesn’t shy away from healthy fats and makes some of the most mouthwatering desserts I’ve ever seen. My family raved about the Mandarin & Maple Quinoa dish I made on Thanksgiving.
- More recently, I’ve been intrigued by the breakfasts at The Edible Perspective. Ashley goes beyond on the traditional pancakes and yogurt bowls and creates things like banana scrambles and breakfast bakes. Though I can’t make these every day, they are such fun ideas for leisurely weekend mornings.
Obviously I use other blogs all the time too, but today for lunch I found myself using a recipe I starred from one of my favorites – Anne P! She whipped up a black bean burger as part of a class project, and it looked too perfect to pass up.
The recipe was almost alarmingly simple. You just dump the ingredients in a food processor, then form patties on cook in a pan for 5 minutes.
I was a hungry girl after running this morning, but these came together in less than 10 minutes! I topped mine with a slice of soy cheese and tomato, and had it on a sandwich thin with mustard. I could have sworn I was at a summer barbeque. These were PERFECT! Nothing too crazy, but a nice, dense bean burger. This recipe is totally a go-to for me now.
One the side I had a green monster (that cup x2) but used kale instead of spinach. It had a slightly different taste, but I probably wouldn’t have noticed if I didn’t already know. It did make the smoothie a bit thicker however, which is always a good thing in my book.
Awesome lunch. This kept me full for hours of shopping, and the project for the day was new running shoes. Mine have about 370 miles on them, so I drove on over to Big River Running Company to use my Groupon on a new pair. I ended up getting Brooks Adrenaline, which have great support since I over-pronate. While there I also pick up some Body Glide for my recent chaffing (booo), a hand held water bottle for when I finally start running outside again, and some new flavors of gels.
After perusing the mall and purchasing nothing, I headed home for dinner. Problem: nothing sounded good. I just stocked my fridge with tons of fresh produce, but didn’t know what to make! So I turned to my trusty starred blog list, and got inspiration from Lisa’s Tomato Soup with White Beans. I changed the recipe a bit however, and didn’t measure anything.
- Made two servings instead of four
- Used garlic powder instead of fresh, and added sauteed onion
- Didn’t have enough veggie broth, so I added water and tomato paste
- Used whole wheat egg noodles
- Added frozen peas, since I can’t have a meal without green
This ended up totally hitting the spot! I had it with some wheat thins, of course, and about 17 liters of water.
And now I’m figuring out what I’m doing with my night and how my dessert plans fit into that:) I think I want either fro-yo or a personal apple crisp, but I’m not hungry enough right now and I need to get moving if I’m going to see my friends! I guess we’ll just see how it plays out…
- What recipe blog do you use most?