Ireland temperatures in the summer are not like the midwest in the summer!
The country is pretty far north and so stays cooler, but the North Atlantic Drift keeps the temperatures pretty moderate. Never too cold, never too hot. My #1 advice is to pack layers!! It could be nice in just a t-shirt during the day, but you could want a sweater and jacket if it’s windy or rainy (which happen quite often.) Check the weather ahead of time to see if you’re experiencing a rare warm period where you might need more shorts and tee-shirts, but generally pants and layering options on top are best. When I was there recently (June/July 2016) the highs were in the 60s during the day, low 50s at night.
I managed to keep my packing relatively light by picking neutral colors that all work together: black, white, blue and grey. I didn’t need anything too dressy — mostly just walking and sight seeing during the day with a few plays and dinners out.
Here is what I packed for Ireland in the summer:
- 3 sleeveless shirts. 1 dressier tank (similar), 1 casual pineapple tank, 1 chambray top
- 2 short sleeved t-shirts: 1 white, 1 grey
- 4 long sleeved shirts: 1 navy checked button down, 1 navy striped shirt, 1 grey 3/4 sleeved sweater, 1 blue drapey sweater.
- 2 cardigans: 1 grey (similar), 1 navy
- 2 dresses: 1 3/4 sleeved striped knit dress, 1 short sleeved black trapeze dress
- 2 pairs of skinny jeans: 1 black, 1 blue
- 1 pair blue shorts
- 1 casual black skirt
- 1 striped hoodie sweatshirt
- 3 pairs of shoes: 1 pair Converse, 1 pair dressier black flats, 1 pair blue loafers.
- 1 lightweight scarf
- 2 necklaces: 1 pearl, 1 blue statement (similar)
- 2 jackets: 1 short khaki trench, 1 raincoat
- Exercise clothes and running shoes
I was there for a week and wore nearly everything. What I didn’t use was the skirt and shorts, one long sleeved shirt, and the button down shirt. I used my tanks and tee shirts with cardigans during the day and wore the dresses for a few dinners out. My jackets got lots of use as well as the umbrella — it can go from sunny to raining and back again about 5 times a day!
I hope this post helps you if you’re planning a trip soon!! Say hello to the Emerald Isle for me:) I miss it!
- What are your packing strategies? What have you brought with you to travel in Europe?